“Championing Eye Health: Glencore Coal’s Dedication to Vision Care in South African Workplaces”
25 October 2023
Johannesburg – Eye Care Awareness Month is a vital reminder of the significance of eye health in the South African workplace. Glencore Coal, a steadfast advocate for the well-being of its workforce and surrounding communities, marks the month of October by taking the lead in promoting vision care and safety, aiming to preserve and protect the precious gift of sight.
In South Africa, cataract-related vision impairment remains a pressing public health concern, particularly for those who lack access to quality eye care. Research indicates that cataracts affect roughly 1.2 million individuals, primarily those aged 50 and older, and account for 51% of avoidable blindness cases in the country. In this context, ensuring eye safety in the workplace is paramount due to the unique hazards faced by South African workers. Here are some tips to protect your eyes while on the job:
Tips for Maintaining Eye Health in the Workplace:
- Utilize Appropriate Eye Protection: Always wear the suitable eye protection equipment, such as safety goggles, face shields, or full-face respirators with integrated eye safeguards, depending on the specific risks in your workplace.
- Regularly Inspect Eye Protection Gear: Ensure that your eye protection equipment is in good condition. Regularly check for any cracks, scratches, or damage and replace it promptly when needed.
- Chemical Hazard Awareness: If you handle chemicals at work, be mindful of potential splash hazards. Employ chemical-resistant goggles or a face shield to protect your eyes from chemical splashes.
- Proper Lighting: Ensure that your workplace is well-lit to reduce eye strain. Insufficient lighting can lead to eye fatigue and accidents.
- Follow the 20-20-20 Rule: If your job involves prolonged computer use, follow the 20-20-20 rule. Every 20 minutes, take a 20-second break and focus on something at least 20 feet away to reduce digital eye strain.
- Stay Hydrated: Proper hydration is essential for eye health. Drink an adequate amount of water during your workday to prevent dry and uncomfortable eyes.
- Get Regular Eye Check-ups: Schedule regular eye examinations with an optometrist. Early detection of eye conditions can help prevent serious problems in the future.
As we celebrate Eye Care Awareness Month, let us draw inspiration from Glencore Coal’s unwavering commitment to improving the vision and well-being of South African workers. Let us cherish our own eyes by proactively ensuring their safety, and let’s extend that care to those who need it most. Together, we can work toward a future where optimal eye health is a shared reality, and eye-related issues are effectively prevented in South African workplaces.
Join us in applauding Glencore Coal’s dedication to vision care during Eye Care Awareness Month. Together, let’s prioritize eye health and make a meaningful impact on the lives of those affected by eye conditions in the South African workplace. For more information on how to prevent cataracts visit https://www.healthline.com/health/eye-health/how-to-prevent-cataracts